Monday, December 8, 2008

The Grocery Store

Gifted Online grocery shopping. That's what's kept me out of the grocery store with the two year old and her baby sister, who's only 17 months her younger up until now. I cannot tell you how many times I've said a thank you in my head to my mother-in-law for that gift. I hope I've said it outloud often enough as well. But, its time now to brave the often spoken about challenge of it in the real world, not just carving out the computer time to make groceries appear in our refridgerator.

Our first attempt went well enough, I thought. They're supposed to be melting down in the check out line, right?! I decided I'd better arm myself with some tested tools for the next adventure and can now proudly condone the following:

1) Keep both babies in the trolley as long as possible.

2) Food. Surrounded by it. Let them eat it. Try the produce section first and choose something like grapes or an apple. Remember to have them charge you twice for the same one you put in your basket, but didn't eat!

3) I spy. Brilliant with toddler once she could stand the trolley no longer. I used colors and she was allowed to touch the items w/ one finger. It was a good way to keep her moving down the aisle without taking things off the shelf.

4) Put unbreakables into youngers hands along the way. She loved the colors & textures of fruit and packages.

5) Key with 8 month old was she was fed & napped just before we arrived. Gone are the days of stopping in on the way home. This was our morning event.

6) Keep to the list, keep it under an hour including check out (both of which will also save $$), & hand toddler the special snack you brought for her just before entering the "sweet-free" check out line some stores provide.

I did read some of these ideas from various places, I'm sure, but I bet most are from Parenting Magazine: https://www.parentsinc.org.nz/parenting-magazine/newzealandoptions/

No comments: